Wedding DIY: Paper Flowers

Standard
Image

Here you can see some of my flowers floating in water along with floating tealights. These were our centerpieces at our reception.

This is the first of the DIY projects I want to share with you, that I found while planning my wedding.

This is one that I actually used!

I found this tutorial and immediately knew what I wanted to do with it: Make flowers out of old comic book pages!!

http://www.photographybysusie.com/blog/how-to-make-paper-roses-maryland-wedding-photographers/

I found the flowers simple to make, although time consuming. Each flower took between 15-20 minutes, depending on how focused I was, and whether or not the glue wanted to co-operate.

Image

My wedding bouquet: Silk flowers, comic book flowers, and crystal beads.

The flowers I floated in water (see above) I dipped in wax to water proof them, although this did not prevent them from catching fire! Throughout the reception, many of the floating flowers caught fire – luckily my guests are smart, and they were immediately dunked in the water to put out any flames before they became dangerous.

The other flowers were combined with silk flowers, crystal beads, and ribbon to make the beautiful bouquets that I and my bridesmaids all held.

I chose older comics, with non-glossy paper, as I felt they held the curled edges better – however older comics printed on newsprint, are not as colourful, and don’t stand out as well.

Overall, the flowers were a hit, and my bouquet will be something I can save and cherish for many, many years.

These flowers could be used to create fun and unique centerpieces; easy non-floral bouquets or hair decorations!

Gather a group of bridesmaids and friends, and you can power through 100 of these in one afternoon!

Advertisements

2 responses »

    • My apologies for taking… um, forever, to reply!
      Dipping the flowers in wax was simple. I bought a bag of cheap tealight candles from the dollar store, and melted them in an old pot on the stove (one that was no longer used for food) – and simple dipped them (carefully!) by hand, one at a time, in the wax, to coat the bottom of the flower – and rested them upside down on a tray covered in foil, to set and dry!
      Took about 2 hours, with help, plus I let them set over night.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s